Boarding House Tutor
Salary: £16,320 per annum (in accordance with the QE pay scale)
Permanent/Fixed Term, Immediate Start
Hours: Full time, Term time only. Staff work on a rota system which includes evenings and weekends.
Reports to the Heads of Boarding with Senior House Tutors as direct Line Managers
Applicants must be eligible to work in the UK
Queen Ethelburga’s is an Independent Collegiate of four co-educational schools. Located in North Yorkshire between the towns of York and Harrogate, we offer outstanding facilities and motivated students who join us with a broad range of academic, social and cultural backgrounds. We pride ourselves on being a happy community where students can grow to reach their full potential, both academically and socially. To meet the needs of our students we offer a wide choice of qualifications, a supportive and caring environment and an exciting programme of extra–curricular opportunities, which are underpinned by high quality teaching and learning. At Queen Ethelburga’s we take great pride in our campus, ensuring that it is beautifully maintained, providing students with lots of opportunities for sport, relaxation, exploration and adventure.
As a thriving boarding school, we have seen our numbers grow year on year, making us one of the largest boarding communities in the country. Our facilities are enhanced annually to help ensure that we have everything needed to allow our students ‘To be the best that I can with the gifts that I have’. We have a culturally diverse community which focuses on the wellbeing of all.
We are seeking an individual who is motivated, hardworking, and sociable. You will work as part of a dynamic team to help develop a boarding house that both students and staff are proud to be a part of. As our boarding roles are all non-teaching, we focus on the development of the student's pastoral practices and provide them with a wide range of professional development opportunities. Boarding at Queen Ethelburga’s is a team approach, where we all are dedicated to the pastoral care of our students.
- Provide a caring environment for all the students within your House, rewarding them and taking an active interest in their lives
- Run activities with the students, both in House and externally where appropriate
- Carry out uniform and room inspections of the House
- Contribute to an atmosphere of positive behavior when eating meals in the Collegiate dining room
- Escort children to local medical appointments and on travel supervisions at the beginning and end of each term and half term
- Maintain high personal standards of behavior, appearance and punctuality and implement the agreed standards of behavior throughout the Collegiate
- Keep appropriate student records, ensuring they are kept up to date and contributing to full Collegiate reports
- Supervising regular fire practices, ensuring all fire exits are usable and overseeing your House in the event of a fire alarm
- Liaise with other House Staff, Residential Staff, Housekeepers, Estates Team Members, Catering Staff and the Accounts Team as required
- Be resident in the House during term time, except when you are on your off duty days. Return from holidays two days prior to your students return
- Be available to all students and staff when you are on duty during the week and at weekends
- Attend House Staff meetings, relevant training and INSET days
- General House administration duties including filing, typing, answering the House phone, ordering House supplies and organising weekend activities
Key Skills and Experience:
- Good general level of education to include: GCSE, or equivalent, English and Maths
- Experience of working in a boarding house within an educational setting
- Experience of working with young people up to the age of 18
- Knowledge of Child Protection and Safeguarding
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Word, Outlook, Powerpoint and Excel
- Able to communicate in a professional manner and effectively with other staff, pupils
- Friendly and supportive
- Adaptable and flexible
- Honest and hardworking
Along with a wealth of experience, staff at QE benefit from competitive salaries, a pension scheme, fee discount for staff children, access to a dedicated staff gym, staff socials and free parking. This job allows for flexibility and suits someone looking for term-time only work. Staff members get access to their own residential flat to use during shifts.
QE is committed to ensuring a safe environment for its pupils and staff. Applicants will be required to provide proof of identity and undergo the relevant DBS checks for their role.
Any personal information you share with us on your application form will be used solely for recruitment purposes. Your details will be held for up to 6 months and destroyed after this time.If you have any questions on individual roles or the recruitment process, you can email them to the HR department on email@example.com.
Please note, we often receive high volumes of applications. Unfortunately this means that if you have not heard from us within two weeks of your application, you can assume that on this occasion your application will not have been successful.